November 9, 2011 Emergency Alert System test - RF Cafe Forums

The original RF Cafe Forums were shut down in late 2012 due to maintenance issues - primarily having to spend time purging garbage posts from the board. At some point I might start the RF Cafe Forums again if the phpBB software gets better at filtering spam.

Below are the old forum threads, including responses to the original posts.

-- Amateur Radio
-- Anecdotes, Gripes & Humor
-- Antennas
-- CAE, CAD, & Software
-- Circuits & Components
-- Employment & Interviews
-- Miscellany
-- Swap Shop
-- Systems
-- Test & Measurement
-- Webmaster

Kirt Blattenberger
 Post subject: November 9, 2011 Emergency Alert System test
Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:26 am 

Site Admin

Greetings:

I made a point of listening to my local AM radio station during the fist nationwide test of the Emergency Alert System (EAS). It broke into the top-of-the-hour news a few seconds after 2:00 pm with the familiar series of tones. After that, the first thing I heard was a very mute version of the standard announcement about this only being a test. At about 10 seconds into the test, the full volume version was played, then the test ended. Other than the screwed up beginning, the test seemed no different from the hundreds of others I've heard over the years. New reports tell of varying degrees of success and failure from other locations across the country.

You wouldn't think it would be all that hard to get right, but then this is a government bureaucracy. These are the folks that want to take over your health care. :roll:

Did anyone else hear or watch the test?

Posted  11/12/2012