Visit RFCafe.com Thanks for visiting RFCafe.net Thanks for visiting the RF Cafe Archives Thank you for visiting RF Cafe Thank you for visiting the RF Cafe Archives!

Measuring S param. on 0402 RF boards using tiny semirigid - RF Cafe Forums

The original RF Cafe Forums were shut down in late 2012 due to maintenance issues - primarily having to spend time purging garbage posts from the board. At some point I might start the RF Cafe Forums again if the phpBB software gets better at filtering spam.

Below are the old forum threads, including responses to the original posts.

-- Amateur Radio
-- Anecdotes, Gripes & Humor
-- Antennas
-- CAE, CAD, & Software
-- Circuits & Components
-- Employment & Interviews
-- Miscellany
-- Swap Shop
-- Systems
-- Test & Measurement
-- Webmaster

Humane Society
 Post subject: Measuring S param. on 0402 RF boards using tiny semirigid
Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:04 pm 

Lieutenant

Well
I cannot believe I cannot find a solution!
I am trying to find a way of calibrating small tiny semirigid coax cables ( 1.2mm diameter ) for measuring S param. on RF boards populated with 0402 components. I tried soldering one end of this semirigid on a SMA connector already mounted on RF board, to use it as a reliable way of connecting my calibration kit and use it for reflection calibration.
Then I use a semirigid coax cable ( both ends SMA terminated ) to calibrate the trasmission, but at the end of calibration procedure, the measurements I took, differ a lot from "clasical calibration" ( the one which is using just simple coax cables ).
Where am I wrong ? What is going on?
ADS said that is very difficult to calibrate such stuff on 8753E unless I am using an additional software.
Please advise. Your help will be greatly appreciated.
Ted
(mtedpl@sbcglobal.net)

Humane Society
 Post subject: Kirt, or Jerry please give me a solution
Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:34 pm 

Lieutenant

So, I am still waiting for at an idea.
I do not think nobody used to work on 0402 parts.
Please !
Ted

Posted  11/12/2012